An update 2 years on for my post on the Windtracker by Logic energy.
I put one of these windtrackers on a windmill tower (the Kestrel tower actually https://scoraigwind.co.uk/?s=kestrel which is the right hand end one in the above photo) in March 2012, and to be honest I have not bothered to do anything in the interim. So I was a little worried that I would have lost all my data. The logger is still on its original batteries. voltage was 2.5. The LED was still winking gently. And I got the following data off the card for windspeed:
|12 m/s average bin||329|
|13 m/s or over||467|
|average windspeed: 5.09|
(I did not have a windvane connected but the logger also stores a useful windrose.)
The data is compromised by the fact that the anemometer is mounted on the west side of the tower and we have had a lot of east winds so it will have under-read those winds. But it’s a very useful clue to the site windspeed distribution. Raw data on the card is the number of ten minute intervals for each windspeed bin as a text file.