ebook plans for 2F turbine now finally published

Over the last couple of years I have been building some ferrite magnet alternators.  This is partly due to the sharp increase in neo magnet pricing a few years back and also the problems I have seen with neo magnets corroding.  Ferrite magnets absolutely cannot corrode and the old ferrite alternator machines that I built 10-15 years back have not had problems with their magnet rotors.

I have focused on 2 metre and 3 metre blade diameters for the ferrite projects that I have done recently, and I call them 2F and 3F for short.  I have good performance data from a 2F machine here on Scoraig, and it’s efficiency has been great whilst it has also completed 18 months of service without any teething troubles at all.

It has taken me a while to finalise my documentation of the 2F design but I have now uploaded an ebook to Smashwords, and hope that in time they will distribute it to Amazon etc.  Meantime you can buy it in any digital format you like directly from Smashwords.

cover

I plan to also print some paper copies and offer them for sale in due course.

I apologise for not giving this information away for free.  Enterprising readers will presumably find a way to steal it anyway.  But bear in mind if/when you do this that I have put untold hours of loving work into preparing this document.  Hours that I could have spent doing something rather better paid.  I have received abusive messages saying I should not be charging money for this, but given that the price of the book is less than almost any item in the list of materials you will need to build it, I feel that my pricing is not unreasonable.

Have fun!  Hugh

This entry was posted in construction, ferrite magnets, my own projects. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to ebook plans for 2F turbine now finally published

1. Leslie Bryan says:

Nice Hugh and Congratulations on your latest publications.
    I look forward to buying a printed version real soon.

Nice to see you going the ferrous magnet route.

Best, Leslie Bryan, (Normandy France)

2. Jimmy Dowds says:

Good luck with the book nice to see you producing a new one.

3. Pedro says:

Hi Hugh,

have I missed something, or the diameter of wire is missing for 12 and 24v ?
    I only see the number of turns for the above voltages, but for 48v you recommend thinner wire and wrote the diameter.

Regards

• admin says:

hi pedro, yes you did miss the wire size. It is in the table at the beginning of the section. 1.6mm diameter.
      But thanks! If you missed it then so will others. The good thing about ebooks is that this sort of thing can be fixed quickly.

Hugh

4. Kostas says:

Thank you!

5. Jeff Doyle says:

Your books and plans have always been well worth the cost and have been a wealth of information for me over the years. Keep up the great work.

6. Pingback: Fixing a 2F turbine on Scoraig | Hugh Piggott's blog

7. rick tungpalan says:

dear sir,i bought some ferrite magnets here in our country,size is 2″x1″x1/2″.i planned to build one of your projects,how can i buy your book,thank you.

• hugh says:

hi Rick,

I am afraid that I do not have any books describing how to use that size of magnet. I mostly work with bigger ones. 2 x 2 x 3/4″ for example is good for the 2F design.

you can buy my books here http://scoraigwind.co.uk/all-of-the-books-by-hugh-how-to-get-them/

cheers
      Hugh

• rick tungpalan says:

hi sir,the 2003 edition,you mention the size of magnet 2x1x1/2″,but the difference is neodymium,will the ferrite do the work?

• hugh says:

hi Rick

No it’s not the same as NdFeB or neodymium at all. It will not work, sorry. If you use them then I suggest you put them much closer together like in the 4F design and pack them in to maximise flux. That approach works but you do need a heavier alternator than you would build with neo for the same output at the same speed.

cheers
          Hugh

• rick tungpalan says:

thank you sir for the advice,but now,the available size of magnet here is 2”x2”x1/2″.

• hugh says:

Hi rick,
            OK well you could try out a new design with 12 magnets on each disk (24 magnets in total) and 18 coils. Are you working in metric or inches? I don’t know where you are to be honest. You never told me that. I can suggest a design for you if you want.
            Hugh