ebook plans for 2F turbine now finally published

Over the last couple of years I have been building some ferrite magnet alternators.  This is partly due to the sharp increase in neo magnet pricing a few years back and also the problems I have seen with neo magnets corroding.  Ferrite magnets absolutely cannot corrode and the old ferrite alternator machines that I built 10-15 years back have not had problems with their magnet rotors.

I have focused on 2 metre and 3 metre blade diameters for the ferrite projects that I have done recently, and I call them 2F and 3F for short.  I have good performance data from a 2F machine here on Scoraig, and it’s efficiency has been great whilst it has also completed 18 months of service without any teething troubles at all.

It has taken me a while to finalise my documentation of the 2F design but I have now uploaded an ebook to Smashwords, and hope that in time they will distribute it to Amazon etc.  Meantime you can buy it in any digital format you like directly from Smashwords.

cover

I plan to also print some paper copies and offer them for sale in due course.

I apologise for not giving this information away for free.  Enterprising readers will presumably find a way to steal it anyway.  But bear in mind if/when you do this that I have put untold hours of loving work into preparing this document.  Hours that I could have spent doing something rather better paid.  I have received abusive messages saying I should not be charging money for this, but given that the price of the book is less than almost any item in the list of materials you will need to build it, I feel that my pricing is not unreasonable.

Have fun!  Hugh

This entry was posted in construction, ferrite magnets, my own projects. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to ebook plans for 2F turbine now finally published

1. Leslie Bryan says:

Nice Hugh and Congratulations on your latest publications.
    I look forward to buying a printed version real soon.

Nice to see you going the ferrous magnet route.

Best, Leslie Bryan, (Normandy France)

2. Jimmy Dowds says:

Good luck with the book nice to see you producing a new one.

3. Pedro says:

Hi Hugh,

have I missed something, or the diameter of wire is missing for 12 and 24v ?
    I only see the number of turns for the above voltages, but for 48v you recommend thinner wire and wrote the diameter.

Regards

• admin says:

hi pedro, yes you did miss the wire size. It is in the table at the beginning of the section. 1.6mm diameter.
      But thanks! If you missed it then so will others. The good thing about ebooks is that this sort of thing can be fixed quickly.

Hugh

4. Kostas says:

Thank you!

5. Jeff Doyle says:

Your books and plans have always been well worth the cost and have been a wealth of information for me over the years. Keep up the great work.

6. Pingback: Fixing a 2F turbine on Scoraig | Hugh Piggott's blog

7. rick tungpalan says:

dear sir,i bought some ferrite magnets here in our country,size is 2″x1″x1/2″.i planned to build one of your projects,how can i buy your book,thank you.

• hugh says:

hi Rick,

I am afraid that I do not have any books describing how to use that size of magnet. I mostly work with bigger ones. 2 x 2 x 3/4″ for example is good for the 2F design.

you can buy my books here http://scoraigwind.co.uk/all-of-the-books-by-hugh-how-to-get-them/

cheers
      Hugh

• rick tungpalan says:

hi sir,the 2003 edition,you mention the size of magnet 2x1x1/2″,but the difference is neodymium,will the ferrite do the work?

• hugh says:

hi Rick

No it’s not the same as NdFeB or neodymium at all. It will not work, sorry. If you use them then I suggest you put them much closer together like in the 4F design and pack them in to maximise flux. That approach works but you do need a heavier alternator than you would build with neo for the same output at the same speed.

cheers
          Hugh

• rick tungpalan says:

thank you sir for the advice,but now,the available size of magnet here is 2”x2”x1/2″.

• hugh says:

Hi rick,
            OK well you could try out a new design with 12 magnets on each disk (24 magnets in total) and 18 coils. Are you working in metric or inches? I don’t know where you are to be honest. You never told me that. I can suggest a design for you if you want.
            Hugh

8. rick tungpalan says:

thank you very much sir,the measurement i choose is inches,sorry sir for not mentioning,but for now,i don’t know where to start first,i have the materials for the frame,but for the stator,i have no idea for now,if you suggest me a design i’ll be very glad for that sir,the price of neo magnets here is cost me much,

9. rick tungpalan says:

sir,i’m from the philippines,

• hugh says:

hi Rick
      I have sent you an email now. Please can you tell me what size the magnets are? You say 2” x 1”, but then later you say 2” x 2” x 1/2”. Is this correct?
      cheers
      Hugh

10. rick tungpalan says:

thanks sir,the magnets i bought here is 2″x1″x 1/2″,but the available magnets in the store is 2″x2″x1/2″,ferrite,

11. Henry Horkan says:

Dear Mr Piggott,

I purchased “Wind Power Workshop:Building Your Own Wind Turbine” some 15 years ago but never got around to building it. The idea has resurfaced now that I have the time but I would now prefer to go for the 2F Wind Turbine in view of the benefit of the ferrite magnets as mentioned by you. I live on the west coast of Ireland so wind is certainly not a problem, but before I purchase the book and make a start, I admit a preference for the VAWT. Is it possible to adapt the 2F to a vertical axis system and if so have you any preference as to design type. I greatly appreciate all of your help as conveyed both on your web site and answers to questions posed.

Regards

Henry.

12. Henry Horkan says:

Dear Mr. Piggott,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and your offer to design a rotor for my expressed preference. However, after reading the supplied link on the subject of VAWT’s and the further comments it engendered, I immediately decided, in view of my complete ignorance of the subject and the faith I have in your vast knowledge and experience, to opt for your tested and proven HAWT design. In view of the apparent ability to build an off grid or a grid linked 2F turbine, I have two questions (which although they may sound ridiculous to those versed in wind turbine parlance) to which I would appreciate answers:

1. If I build an off grid 2F turbine, which I understand stores generated powers in a battery bank, can I utilise this power in the grid system (I am linked to the national grid) and if so how? If not how can I use the power generated?

2. If I build a grid linked turbine how do I link it to the grid system?

My sincere thanks for your help and aware that you must be a very busy man, I will endeavour not to trouble you further unless absolutely necessary.

Regards,

Henry.

• hugh says:

hi Henry,

You would use an inverter to create AC power from your battery. There are many sizes and qualities of inverters to suit different needs, but often something rated at about 3kW nominal power sine wave is ideal for running a house. this will be able to meet a peak demand that is roughly double the rated power.

If you are on the grid then you probably do not need batteries. You can use a grid tied “wind inverter” to connect the turbine to the grid. You will need to use software to program a “curve” into the inverter so it works with the turbine. You will also need to have some protection against damage from over-voltage in the event that the turbine runs unloaded (before the inverter starts to draw power from it). This is usually in the form of a voltage “regulator or limiter” with an associated load resistor that loads the turbine at those times.

Ginlong make suitable products. ABB also. SMA not any more. Cheap low wattage ones are available that are not certified.

If anyone is actually doing this, then ask me for suitable winding details and a suitable curve. I will expect you to carry it out and report back.

I also have plans available in draft format for larger 3F 4F and 5F turbines. I have not had time or incentive to formally publish these but some people are building them.

I hope this helps.
      cheers
      Hugh

13. Henry Horkan says:

Dear Mr Piggott,
    Thank you yet again for your, time, help and patience. It is wonderful to have a person to contact for good free practical advice. It is now “think time” as I get my thoughts together.

Regards,