More from Mac in Wyoming

hello again from Wyoming.. The larger wind generator at 45 mph + winds is doing a whooping 150 to 200 amps.  24 volts battery bank.

Maybe would do more, but tail cuts out of wind after 45 or 50 mph winds. 

The machine probably does 44 volts at a higher output. Battery bank voltage is 28.2. i guess the loss in the wire is the resistance.  

I used the same magnet as you used on your 8ft turbine, 1/2″ x 1 ” x 2″ . And used 40 copper coils, 20 inner coils and 20 outer coils. 17 gauge wire, 150 turns. Resin thickness 3/4″.  Inner coils are off set from outer coils, but magnets are in line so to make it smoother turning, and it was. Inner coils are together with 1 neutral ring. And outer coils are isolated from the inner coils with there own Neutral . It seems that the inner coils start to make power a little sooner than the outer coils. Same amount of magnates passing the coils on both inner and outer of the stater, but the inner coils are a little closer together than the outer  coils because of diameter. But the volt is not much different, maybe 2 volts. I guess the phase lag is different than the other. But is seems to work good. SO 20 coils are hooked to a neutral and the other 20 coils are hooked to a neutral . 40 WIRES are a lot to hook up to the 20,  10 amp rectifier that are on a aulimum heat sink. I wish i would have used bigger rectifiers but i thought i it was only going to make MAX 120 amps. i was wrong. it makes much more.But thank God that they hold up Ok. With a RPM meter, a little hand held one that i have with a lazer and a sticker you put on it. At 90 rpms it produced 24 volts. Blades seem to work well with the gen. At around 5 mph it is making around 4 or 5 amps. Sometimes it takes 6 mph wind to start the turbine, but sometimes much less like 3mph.

With that much power, i was concerned about heat produced, so designed it so air flow can get through coils for better cooling. 

In the middle of coils i used tapped wood block that was waxed, and screw to hold it in place. Then before i poured it, i put tape on top, so resin would not get in there, and leave a hold for more cooling on high out put. The small wood blocks must be tapped and waxed so they can be removed after screw is removed. 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *