Planet Mechanics ‘invent’ a wind turbine

National Geographics channel program “water wars” in the Planet Mechanics series shows inventor Jem Stansfield coming up with a wind turbine design that looks rather coincidentally close to my own.

The diagrams are lifted straight out of my alternator plans from year 2000 that are available for free download here.

He did make quite a clever magnet positioning jig though…

done with a router.

This entry was posted in Books, construction, People. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Planet Mechanics ‘invent’ a wind turbine

1. Nels Nelson says:

He should have attributed you at least

2. Leslie Bryan says:

I allways thought the Strawbridges were dodgy, ie lack of real detail. Yes, it looks like they have used your design and given No acknowledgement.

3. admin says:

Oh well I’ll just take it as a complement that I have become a part of the established wisdom base of wind energy. And belatedly, thanks to Audun for tipping me off to this amusing bit of plagiarism.

4. Federico says:

We in Argentina say “Coincidencia?” (Coincidence?), i don´t think so!. Greetings from Argentina. Federico

5. Guy Jones says:

Coincidence – I don’t think so either.

I know that manual very well having used it for the basis of my generator project back in 2001. As you say, you have most definitely been copied.

6. If I we’re in charge of National Geographic I’d donate an enormous sum of money to WindEmpowerment and Hugh to fund some serious research as a way of making amends.

7. Mike says:

I need more and more videos,documents ,anddiagrams with complet explanation to built my own wind and water turbine guys help help help :d

8. Hi Hugh. Cedric Lynch has had the same thing happen, but as many of the patents have run out, it is understandable. Did some of your ideas come from the PM motors he designed? I remember meeting you in the mid 90s when I rode my small off road motorcycle into Scoriag on my way to visit Tommy. I liked what you were doing then. My interest in wind will be to have a small turbine to help recharge my AGM batteries which will drive the Lynch motor I’m fitting to my wee yacht. ( http://www.Elektra-Yachts.Co.UK ). I think solar for the boat will be first though.

9. John Rushworth says:

Ooops the link on my name didn’t parse correectly. Should show links
    ( http://John.Rushworth.com ) and ( http://www.facebook.com/ElektraYachts )

10. Brit Churchman says:

In the end, this guy will look will look very very bad to the scientific community. We don’t take this kind of borrowing lightly.