Gordon Proven

I’d like to remember Gordon Proven, the brilliant inventor, and creator of Proven Energy.  I only seem to have this one photo of Gordon from the early 1990s in his old factory in Kilmarnock.

Gordon built a really heavy duty wind turbine that can outlast all the others.  Here is a photo of one of his first efforts, more than twenty years ago.

At that time he used a geared induction motor, but he did some research into permanent magnet alternators and adopted a very good toroidal design that has served well to this day.  His blade pitch control system is unique.

Gordon Proven passed away peacefully on Saturday, at home and with the family beside him.   He had been living with motor neurone disease for more than 5 years, and still fighting to the end.  I have fond memories of his ingenuity, generosity and humour.

This entry was posted in People, UK small wind scene. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Gordon Proven

1. Sad news regarding his passing, Ive worked for npower 5 years now and studdied many people in detail regarding how they built the turbines by hand. This is a sad day as a lot of skills and knowledge have been lost but hopefully the people who have been taught the methods will continue to use them wisely.

2. Indeed sad news… I have been lucky enough to have worked under his wing for 3 years. Great inventor and character

3. Joao says:

A terrible disease, rest in Peace.

4. Tom Hart says:

Indeed. A visionary… I hope Kingspan are worthy beneficiaries…

5. Heidi Proven says:

Thank you Hugh…. I remember well the blade in the photo, the jumper (!), the humour and the giant of a man x

6. sanjeev says:

Sad news Hugh, may his soul Rest in Peace.

7. Philip Proven says:

I am Gordon’s cousin and have known him all his life. He was born in Chorlton Village and my sister Irene baby sat him when he was a baby. His father was an engineer and his brother , my father, was an engineer and he grew up among all the bits and pieces these two invented all of the time. True to the traditions of the Proven family Gordon was destined to continue this inventive talent. He did, and made a huge contribution to the the innovation of new systems in the wind generation industry. He also had my dad’s and his dad’s sense of humor. I will miss him enormously.

8. Tim Cotter says:

His turbines have transformed rural life in the Falkland Islands. A lasting memorial to Gordon.

9. Graham Barton says:

I am so sad to have belatedly learnt both of Gordon’s death and of the fate of his wonderful company. I had the enormous pleasure and privilege to work with Gordon a decade ago when I worked for Shell and together we pioneered the first ever wind-powered gas platform in the southern north sea ; a world first still much cited by Shell in its promotional material. We have all lost a great inventor, innovator and inspirer, a man of the greatest humanity, and a friend.

10. Benny Pandian says:

Great man! I spent a week with him at Klimranock , he taught me basics and installation techniques need to be followed for implementation. He picked from the Airport and provided support to me until my stay in Scotaland. May his soul rest in peace.

11. Sad to learn about Gordon’s passing. We’ve worked together years ago on a fibre reinforced version of his PP blades. Holding the perfect material in my hands right now for his application…but too late now 🙁
    I’ll cherish my memories of him.